Located at the far end of the cemetery, the Crucifixion Group features the earliest stonework attempted by Father Wernerus. The statues were dedicated in 1920 as a memorial to three local men who died fighting in World War One. After this, Father Wernerus added the decorative flower pots on each side of the stairs. These may be his earliest works using concrete and broken glass, setting the stage for more elaborate constructions. After these first experiments with the materials, Father Wernerus was ready to start work on the Eucharistic Altar in 1924.
References and Links to the Dickeyville Grotto
presented by Minnesota Museum of the Mississippi