The Old Post Office
1:2000 scale miniature paper model, about 2 inches tall
This Richardsonian Romanesque building, designed by architect Willoughby J. Edbrooke, opened in 1899 as Washington D.C.s main post office. By 1914, postal services had moved on to larger quarters and the building became known as the Old Post Office. Architectural fashion had moved by then, too, and the Federal Triangle was being redeveloped in neoclassical style. Only a lack of funds prevented the buildings demolition. In the 1970s, preservationists rallied to save the building and list it on the National Register of Historic Places.
Copyright 2022 Matt Bergstrom